Do you have a good relationship with your coworkers? If so, I’d guess that you usually agree with them when they have an idea. If you can easily agree on something in the office, it makes your working relationships stronger. Of course it’s not always pleasant. Sometimes you have to agree to do things that you don’t really want to do, or you need to agree with ideas that you don’t really share, but that sort of compromise does keep you and your team working well.
Today, let’s have a look at the various prepositions that collocate with the verb agree.
We use agree with + a person, idea, or situation:
- I usually agree with my boss.
- Jack agreed with my idea of revising our catalog.
- I don’t agree with allowing professional athletes participate in the Olympics.
We use agree to + verb:
- I never agreed to fix Jim’s computer. He must be mistaken.
- We agreed to lower the commission rate for just one month for that client.
- Thanks for agreeing to become a member of this website!
Lastly, we use agree on + an idea or situation. The grammar is agree on + noun / gerund:
- Can we agree on meeting again next week at the same time?
- I hope you can agree on the terms of this contract.
- The CEO finally agreed on the budget for next year.
Keep in mind the best way to remember this or any vocabulary in English is to take the word or phrase write it in a sentence that’s true for you or true in your world and then memorize your sentences.
You can even take your sentences and write them in the comments below. I would love to see your examples. And if you really want help with vocabulary, sign up for my free vocabulary workshop (see below).
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Vocabulary Workshop
Learn how to get, learn, and remember vocabulary
Building vocabulary is the key to speaking more fluently and with more confidence.
- Where and how to get new words
- The best way to study and learn your new words
- How to own your new vocabulary
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn new vocabulary words, but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! (Free PDF download included)