What is the difference between another and other?
Another and other are similar words that are often confused. Let’s have a look at how these words are used.
We use another when we talk about “one more of the same thing” that was already mentioned.
- I had a cup of coffee, but I want to have another cup (one more cup).
- I have two computers. One is in my office and another one is in my house (one more computer).
- Jim is rich. He has a house in Manhattan, and another one in LA.
We also use another when we talk about “a thing that is different” from the thing that was already mentioned.
- I had a cup of coffee, so I would like another drink (a different drink)
- The pizza shop was closed on Sunday, so I went to another one (a different pizza shop).
- Jack has a sales job during the week, but he has another job as a waiter on the weekend.
We can also use other when we talk about “a thing that is different” from the thing that was already mentioned. However, we use other with a determiner such as some or the.
- I had a cup of coffee, so I would like some other drink (some different drink)
- The pizza shop was closed on Sunday, so I went to the other one in town (the different pizza shop).
- Jack has a sales job during the week, but he has some other job on the weekend.
Note that we do not use other without a determiner such as some or the with singular nouns:
- I had a cup of coffee, so I would like other drink
- The pizza shop was closed on Sunday, so I went to other one in town
But…we can use other without a determiner with plural nouns:
- I drink coffee during the day, but I drink other drinks during the day.
- If my favorite pizza shop is closed, there are other pizza shops I can have lunch in.
Keep in mind the best way to remember this or any vocabulary in English is to take the word or phrase write it in a sentence that’s true for you or true in your world and then memorize your sentences.
You can even take your sentences and write them in the comments below. I would love to see your examples. And if you really want help with vocabulary, sign up for my free vocabulary workshop (see below).
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Vocabulary Workshop
Learn how to get, learn, and remember vocabulary
Building vocabulary is the key to speaking more fluently and with more confidence.
- Where and how to get new words
- The best way to study and learn your new words
- How to own your new vocabulary
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn new vocabulary words, but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! (Free PDF download included)