What is the difference between FINALLY and IN THE END?
Both finally and in the end are used when we refer to the conclusion of something, but they have different meanings. In this English lesson, I am going to teach you what these phrases mean, and how to use them.
We use Finally in two ways. First, we use finally as the last item in a series or sequence of things. So, finally is used to end a list. In this use, finally comes at the beginning of the sentence.
- First, I will show you some pens. Next, I’ll show you some pencils. Finally, I will show you some notebooks.
- We did several things today. First, we had a meeting. Then, we worked on the reports. After that we had a second meeting. Finally, we left the office.
We also use finally when we want to indicate that we have been waiting a long time for something to happen. In this use, finally comes next to the verb.
- I went to several stores to try and find my favorite coffee. I finally found it at Trader Joe’s.
- We walked around the city taking photos and enjoying the sights. We finally got back to the hotel at 9pm.
- After sending hundreds of resumes and going on many interviews, Jack has finally found a new job.
We use in the end when we want to indicate that something has happened after a change, after uncertainty, or after considering all other options. In this use, in the end comes at the beginning or the end of the sentence.
- You can try many types of diets to lose weight. In the end, you can not slim down if you do not include exercise in your daily routine.
- We discussed several different marketing options, but in the end we decided to try some online ads.
- I read the story of King Kong. This giant ape was captured and brought to NYC. He escaped and fell in love with a beautiful woman. In the end, he was killed while climbing on top of the Empire State Building!
Keep in mind the best way to remember this or any vocabulary in English is to take the word or phrase write it in a sentence that’s true for you or true in your world and then memorize your sentences.
You can even take your sentences and write them in the comments below. I would love to see your examples. And if you really want help with vocabulary, sign up for my free vocabulary workshop (see below).
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Vocabulary Workshop
Learn how to get, learn, and remember vocabulary
Building vocabulary is the key to speaking more fluently and with more confidence.
- Where and how to get new words
- The best way to study and learn your new words
- How to own your new vocabulary
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn new vocabulary words, but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! (Free PDF download included)