These days, NYC is a pretty safe city. The mayor and other local officials realize that safety is a big concern for a lot of people, so in the past 20 years, the city has done many things to make the Big Apple safe for everyone. You can easily and safely ride the subway, or walk around after dark.
For today’s free English lesson, I want to show you the difference between safe, safely and safety. Have a look at the paragraph above once more and then check out the lesson.
Safe is an adjective, and as you know, adjectives modify nouns:
- These days, NYC is a pretty safe city. Not…a safety city.
- The city has done many things to make the Big Apple safe for everyone.
- The subways are safe at night, too!
Safely is an adverb, and as you know adverbs modify verbs, adjectives, and other adverbs:
- You can easily and safely ride the subway.
- If you safely use the gas stove, you’ll have no problems.
- Please drive safely. It’s raining very hard.
Safety is a noun.
- Safety is a big concern for a lot of people.
- The railroad care about the comfort and safety of the passengers.
- Your safety is important to us.
Keep in mind the best way to remember this or any vocabulary in English is to take the word or phrase write it in a sentence that’s true for you or true in your world and then memorize your sentences.
You can even take your sentences and write them in the comments below. I would love to see your examples. And if you really want help with vocabulary, sign up for my free vocabulary workshop (see below).
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Vocabulary Workshop
Learn how to get, learn, and remember vocabulary
Building vocabulary is the key to speaking more fluently and with more confidence.
- Where and how to get new words
- The best way to study and learn your new words
- How to own your new vocabulary
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn new vocabulary words, but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! (Free PDF download included)