Do you feel nostalgic sometimes? Do people or things sometimes make you think about think about the past? Have you met someone who looks like or acts like another person you know? Here are two was you can express these situations in English:
Reminds Me Of
When something makes you think of something else, or a person makes you think of another person you know, you can use this pattern: [someone/something] reminds me of [someone/something]
- This pasta reminds me of the pasta my grandmother used to make.
- That song reminds me of my high school days.
- The new salesman in my company reminds me of my cousin Joe.
- Seeing the ocean from the hotel window reminds me of how much I love the sea.
Takes Me Back To
When something makes you think of a past time in your life, or gives you nostalgic feelings, you can use this pattern: [someone/something] takes me back to [point in time]
- This pasta takes me back to my grandmother’s house when I was a child.
- That song takes me back to the time I was in high school.
- Jack said seeing that movie takes him back to when he first got married.
- Seeing the ocean from the hotel window takes me back to my childhood. I used to always go to the beach with my grandfather.
What takes you back to your childhood? Why not leave a comment here and share your story!
Keep in mind the best way to remember this or any vocabulary in English is to take the word or phrase write it in a sentence that’s true for you or true in your world and then memorize your sentences.
You can even take your sentences and write them in the comments below. I would love to see your examples. And if you really want help with vocabulary, sign up for my free vocabulary workshop (see below).
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Vocabulary Workshop
Learn how to get, learn, and remember vocabulary
Building vocabulary is the key to speaking more fluently and with more confidence.
- Where and how to get new words
- The best way to study and learn your new words
- How to own your new vocabulary
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn new vocabulary words, but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! (Free PDF download included)