Lori’s apartment is comfortable, but she thinks it’s not big enough. She said she lives comfortably enough, but she just doesn’t have enough space for all of her stuff. I think her problem is she likes shopping too much. I think she has enough furniture, but she doesn’t think she owns enough.
We use enough when we want to show that some situation or thing is sufficient and we are satisfied about that. There are four patterns you’ll need to memorize, so let’s look at these patterns and some examples:
Pattern #1 – Enough + Noun. Use enough before a noun:
- I think she has enough furniture. Not, furniture enough.
- I don’t have enough time to go to the gym today. Not, time enough.
Pattern #2 – Verb + Enough. Use enough after a verb:
- She shops a lot. I think she bought enough today. Not, enough bought.
- More coffee? No, thanks. I’ve had enough. Not, enough had.
Pattern #3 – Adjective + Enough. Use enough after an adjective:
- Lori thinks her apartment is not big enough. Not, enough big.
- The apartment is certainly warm enough. Not, enough warm.
Pattern #4 – Adverb + Enough. Use enough after an adverb:
- She said she lives comfortably enough. Not, enough comfortably.
- Mayumi said she speaks well enough, but she is still studying hard.. Not, enough well.
Keep in mind the best way to remember this or any vocabulary in English is to take the word or phrase write it in a sentence that’s true for you or true in your world and then memorize your sentences.
You can even take your sentences and write them in the comments below. I would love to see your examples. And if you really want help with vocabulary, sign up for my free vocabulary workshop (see below).
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Vocabulary Workshop
Learn how to get, learn, and remember vocabulary
Building vocabulary is the key to speaking more fluently and with more confidence.
- Where and how to get new words
- The best way to study and learn your new words
- How to own your new vocabulary
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn new vocabulary words, but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! (Free PDF download included)