How to say your birthday wishes to someone in English
Congratulations? Happy Birthday? A lot of English learners get stuck on this, because birthday greetings in some languages get translated into English as Congratulations. But, don’t say congratulations when it’s someone’s birthday: Oh, it’s your birthday!
We use congratulations when someone has achieved something because of their effort or good fortune.
- You got a new job. Hey, congratulations!
- You got a 900 on the TOEIC? Wow that’s great. Congratulations!
In English, when we want to say our birthday wishes, we just say Happy Birthday.
- It’s your birthday! Happy Birthday.
- Tell your mom I wish her a very Happy Birthday!
Keep in mind the best way to remember this or any vocabulary in English is to take the word or phrase write it in a sentence that’s true for you or true in your world and then memorize your sentences.
You can even take your sentences and write them in the comments below. I would love to see your examples.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!]
FREE Vocabulary and Phrasal Verb Workshop
Let me help you master vocabulary and phrasal verbs
In this FREE phrasal verb and vocabulary workshop I’ll teach you
- What phrasal verbs are and how we use them
- Why it is important for you to study phrasal verbs
- How to learn and actually remember this vocabulary using my proven 3 Easy Step Method.
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn phrasal verbs but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! And get my FREE pdf: 50 Phrasal Verbs