Check out this short paragraph:
New York is a great city. There is so much to do and see here. There are great restaurants, museums, and sightseeing spots like the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty. If you haven’t come to New York yet, please come and check it out.
If you take another look at the paragraph above, you see I used there is and there are. These two phrases are used to indicate that something exists or is in a certain location. Here are a few more examples:
- There is an apple on the table. ← This shows that an apple exists on the table
- There are some apples on the table.
- There will be a party at Frank’s house on Friday night.
- There were ten people in the room.
The structure is there is/are + subject + [location] ← Note that if the location is known from the context of the conversation, it does not need to be mentioned in the sentence that has there is/are. For example, let’s look at my opening paragraph again. In the sentences that contain there is/are, I did not need to mention the location:
- New York is a great city. There is so much to do and see here. There are great restaurants, museums, and sightseeing spots…
**Please be careful of this common mistake:
- I like New York. There is very exciting.
We do not use there is/are + adjective. In such cases, you can use it is.
- I like New York. It is very exciting.
Thanks for checking out my website today. There are many other lessons here as well. I hope you like them!
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!