After the prepositions before, after, and without, we use the VerbING, like this:
- Please put your dish in the sink after eating.
- I always have a lot of energy after exercising.
- Before eating something, please wash your hands.
- Make sure you have your passport before leaving for the airport.
- If you go outside without drying your hair, you may catch a cold.
- Jack played his new X-box game for ten hours without stopping!
Also after the prepositions before and after, you can use [subject + verb] , like this:
- Please put your dish in the sink after you eat.
- I always have a lot of energy after I exercise.
- Before you eat something, please wash your hands.
- Make sure you have your passport before you leave for the airport.
Do you always wash your hands after coming home? It’s a good habit to get into, especially in the colder months of the year.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Phrasal Verb Workshop
Let’s Master Phrasal Verbs & Vocabulary
In this FREE phrasal verb and vocabulary workshop I’ll teach you
- What phrasal verbs are and how we use them
- Why it is important for you to study phrasal verbs
- How to learn and actually remember this vocabulary using my proven 3 Easy Step Method.
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn phrasal verbs but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! And get my FREE pdf: 50 Phrasal Verbs