Here are 5 American slang phrases that you can use to say that someone talks too much…way too much!
- My boss is a blabbermouth ← Blabber means to say a lot with not a lot of meaning. So a blabbermouth is someone who talks too much.
- That car salesman is a bag of wind ← Can you imagine a balloon when you let the air escape. A person who talks too much is like a big balloon or a bag of wind! You can also say, “He’s a windbag!”
- That guy is a big mouth ← A big mouth can make a big sound, so a person who is a big mouth is a person who talks too much. You can also say he is a big mouth or he has a big mouth.
- Jack said that his sister is a chatterbox ← Chatter means “useless conversation.” Our image from chatterbox is like some kind of box that makes a lot of sound.
- My neighbor is a gabber ← Gab means to talk too much. So a gabber is someone who talks too much.
- Jenny is a loudmouth ← A loud mouth can make a loud sound, so a person who is a loud mouth is a person who talks too much.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
MY NEW BOOK FOR ESL TEACHERS
ESL Games for the Classroom:
101 Interactive Activities to Engage Your Students with Minimal Prep
Motivate your students to learn English with quick set-up, interactive activities from ESL Games for the Classroom. Every moment of class time counts. To fill class time productively, ESL Games for the Classroom offers effective ESL games that engage students with little or no prep work. Now On Sale!