Do you any trouble learning English grammar? I think most people would say that there are at least one or two English grammar points that confuse them. I can’t think of any person who has tried to learn a second language that didn’t have such trouble. Well, if you have any questions about learning English, please feel free to ask me here at Happy English.
A lot of students have said they have trouble with the determiner any, so today I am going to show you how you can use any in your English conversation.
We use any to talk about a non-specific, infinite number of things. We usually use any with a plural noun or non-countable noun in questions or negative sentences.
- Do you have any pens?
- I don’t have any pens.
- Do you have any free time?
- I don’t have any time to talk to her.
We also use any in a positive sentence with a singular countable noun or non-countable noun to mean it doesn’t matter which one, it doesn’t matter who, and it doesn’t matter what. In a conversation, we stress the word any.
- If you ask any person in this office, they will be able to help you.
- Jack will drink any cocktail you give him. He’s a big drinker.
- I’ll go to any beach. I just need a vacation.
- I told Jane she can come here any time that is convenient for her.
We can also use any in a negative sentence with a singular countable noun to mean even one. Here too, in a conversation, we stress the word any.
- I don’t have any pen that works properly.
- I didn’t see any laptop that I wanted to buy.
- I can’t imagine any girl wanting to date Jack.
- There isn’t any person in that company who could help us.
Now, it’s your turn. How about trying to use any in an original sentence in the comment box below? I’ll check it for you. There isn’t any reason not to!
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
MY NEW BOOK FOR ESL TEACHERS
ESL Games for the Classroom:
101 Interactive Activities to Engage Your Students with Minimal Prep
Motivate your students to learn English with quick set-up, interactive activities from ESL Games for the Classroom. Every moment of class time counts. To fill class time productively, ESL Games for the Classroom offers effective ESL games that engage students with little or no prep work. Now On Sale!