Join the club!
If you are going to open your own business, the location is a very important consideration. Where your place is will impact your success. Some people think it doesn’t matter where the business is, but I disagree. I also think that what you name your business is important. What do you think about the name of my English tutoring company, Happy English?
Today, I would like to chat with you about noun clauses. (Last week we looked at adjective clauses, by the way.) In English grammar, noun clauses begin with a question word and contain a subject and a verb. You can use the question words who, what, when, where, why, and how to form a noun clause. The grammar is question word + subject + verb. Noun clauses can be used as the subject of an English sentence.
- Who she kissed is not important. Who she kissed is a noun clause.
- What I ate made me ill.
- When I go doesn’t matter, as long as I have the chance to go.
- Where we live depends on the cost.
- Why he’s late is because the trains were delayed.
- How we get there is key to enjoying the trip.
Noun clauses can also be used as the object of an English sentence.
- It is not important who she kissed. The fact that she kissed another guy bothers me.
- The thing that made me ill was what I ate.
- As long as I have the chance to go there, it doesn’t matter when I go.
- The price of the ring depends on where you buy it.
- Nobody knows why he is late.
- What an amazing magician! I don’t know how he did that!
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
Show your support →
CHECK OUT MY BOOKS
Everything Your GRAMMAR BOOK Didn’t Teach You
Yes, your grammar book probably taught you the difference between during and while, but it probably didn’t teach you how we actually use those words in everyday English. This book does!
You’ll also learn how to really use phrases such as:
- By Friday and Until Friday
- In the end and At the end
- I’m bored and I’m boring
- Even if and Even though…and so much more!
You’ll also learn how to use causatives, conditionals, frequency adverbs, modal verbs, articles, and prepositions.GET IT ON AMAZON
The English Grammar Workbook For Adults
The English Grammar Workbook for Adults is here to help improve your writing fluency so you can gain confidence while crafting emails, cover letters, conducting daily business, and personal correspondence.
No matter your current skill level, this English grammar workbook has everything you need to learn essential elements, including nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, tenses, and beyond. Then, you’ll apply what you’ve learned to everyday situations you could encounter at school, at work, social situations, creative writing, online, and more.