Affect is used a verb and means to influence or move emotionally:
- Many homes were affected by the recent tornado in Arkansas.
- Seeing the injured dog really affected Jack. He was blue all day.
- Jack said that his company laid off 15% of the staff, but he wasn’t affected.
Effect is used as a noun and means the result of an action, a change or the consequence of something:
- The training had a positive effect on our dog
- This medicine is strong and may have negative effects.
- It is easy to see the effect of studying hard on Jack. He passed all of his exams.
Effect also means the lighting, staging, CG graphics, etc used in movies and stage shows:
- Star Wars had amazing special effects.
- The lighting effects that they use in the musical Spiderman give the illusion that Spiderman is actually flying through the theater.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!