Join the club!
Today, let’s have a look at how to read and pronounce fractions in English. Outside of the math class and in the real world fractions are useful for buying things and talking about distance. So let’s begin! Basically, we use cardinal numbers (like 1, 2, 3, 4) to read the figure on the top of the fraction, and ordinal numbers (like third, fourth, fifth) to read the figure on the bottom of the fraction. When we write the fraction in words, we use a hyphen between the cardinal number and the ordinal number. Here are some examples:
- We pronounce 1/3 as one-third, 1/4 as one-fourth, and 1/8 as one-eighth.
As well, “a” means “one” so:
- We pronounce 1/3 as a third, 1/4 as a fourth, and 1/8 as an eighth (written without the hyphen.)
In English grammar, ordinal numbers are countable, so you need to add “s” to the word:
- We pronounce 2/3 as two-thirds, 3/4 as three-fourths, and 6/8 as six-eighths.
We have special words to talk about fractions that have “2” and “4” on the bottom:
- We pronounce 1/2 as one-half, 1/4 as one-quarter, and 3/4 as three-quarters.
Here are some examples on how you might use fractions in your English conversation”
- Can I please have two-thirds of a pound of chicken salad?
- The shop is just a half mile from here. We can walk there!
- Please cut this wood into three one and a quarter-inch strips.
Thanks for studying today!
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
Show your support →
CHECK OUT MY BOOKS
Everything Your GRAMMAR BOOK Didn’t Teach You
Yes, your grammar book probably taught you the difference between during and while, but it probably didn’t teach you how we actually use those words in everyday English. This book does!
You’ll also learn how to really use phrases such as:
- By Friday and Until Friday
- In the end and At the end
- I’m bored and I’m boring
- Even if and Even though…and so much more!
You’ll also learn how to use causatives, conditionals, frequency adverbs, modal verbs, articles, and prepositions.GET IT ON AMAZON
The English Grammar Workbook For Adults
The English Grammar Workbook for Adults is here to help improve your writing fluency so you can gain confidence while crafting emails, cover letters, conducting daily business, and personal correspondence.
No matter your current skill level, this English grammar workbook has everything you need to learn essential elements, including nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, tenses, and beyond. Then, you’ll apply what you’ve learned to everyday situations you could encounter at school, at work, social situations, creative writing, online, and more.