Last week, I posted a photo of my mom’s homemade apple pie and to my surprise, a lot of readers asked me about the recipe. So I asked my mom if she would write it down, and I thought I would share it with you guys today.
My mom is a pretty amazing person. She’s going to be 84 years old this month, but if you met her, you would think she is in her 60’s. Not only is she a two time cancer survivor, but she goes to the gym three days a week to work out and stay healthy. Yeah, I’m so proud of her. Here is the recipe. If you try it, please take a photo and send it to me, and I will post it here on the blog.
- Gala apples: A variety of apples. If you can’t find Gala apples, any other type of apple will work.
- Peel (v): To remove the skin of a piece of fruit
- Core (v): To remove the center of the apple
- Drizzle (v): To pour just a little bit of liquid
- Sprinkle (v): To pour something very fine, like salt or sugar
- Dot (v): To place or put something randomly on another thing
- Roll out (v): To make dough flat by using a rolling pin
- Crimp (v): To squeeze together
Prepare crust for a 2 crust pie or use pre-made crust sold in grocery store. I use a Pyrex 9″ glass pie pan..Place one crust into pie pan leaving a 1/2″ hang over the rim of the pan.
- 6 medium size Gala apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/8 inch thick.
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cp granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tabsp. Saigon cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. corn starch
- 1 tbsp. salted butter
- 1 egg white
Put sliced apples in a bowl and drizzle with lemon juice. Stir to coat all slices.
Mix sugar, cinnamon, and salt together. Mix 2 tbsp. of sugar mixture with the cornstarch and sprinkle evenly over the bottom of crust. Add 1/2 of the apples and pack them in lightly. Sprinkle with half of the cinnamon sugar mixture. Add remaining apples filling in all gaps. Sprinkle in remaining sugar mixture on top. Dot the top with pieces of butter.
Roll out second crust and cut into 1/2″ strips for lattice top. Starting in center of pie using half of the strips lay each strip 1/2 inch apart. Use the rest of strips weaving a lattice top. (over and under)…When all pieces are in place gently fold the overhang of bottom crust to cover ends of lattice and crimp edge. Brush with egg white lightly and bake in pre heated oven at 425 degrees for 45 minutes. If crust starts to brown too fast, cover lightly with a sheet of aluminum foil. Remove from oven when done and place on wire wrack to cool…Enjoy.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!