The /ər/ sound can be tricky because there are several ways to spell this sound. For example:
earth [ear] bird [ir] word [or] curtain [ur]
Words with the /ər/ sound
Words with similar sounds
|all – earl||charge – church||hall – hurl||saw – sir|
|barn – burn||cord – curd||hard – heard||short – shirt|
|board – bird||core – occur||heart – hurt||store – stir|
|born – burn||course – curse||large – splurge||talk – Turk|
|call – curl||dark – dirt||lark – lurk||torn – turn|
|card – curd||far – fur||lawn – learn||walk – work|
|carton – curtain||farm – firm||park – perk||warm – worm|
|caught – curt||four – fir||Paul – pearl||wart – worth|
Sentences with the /ər/ sound
- The dirty birds squirmed when Kurt perched on the birch tree.
- I heard Burt cursed when he burned his dirty shirt.
- Is it worth the work to reword the first bird story?
- The third bird in the pearl shirt is a turkey.
- Bernie learned to stir the firm worms.
- The bird works on Thursday on 33rd Street.
Thanks for studying today. Was this lesson helpful? Please leave a comment below and let me know your thoughts. Thanks!