Hello all of you Gossip Girls (and guys) out there. Michael here, and I have another English lesson inspired by the hit TV show, Gossip Girl. Today, we are going to check out Season 1 Episode 2. Dan is talking to Jenny the day after the kiss on the lips party. If you like this TV program, check out my other Gossip Girl lesson here.
Dan sees Jenny in the morning and says, Oh, hey, you’re up.
We use up to mean awake. Here are some example:
- Jenny was up early this morning. Jenny was awake early this morning.
- Jack was up until 2:00am drinking with his friends.
- When we have school vacation, we are up all night.
Check up on someone (to investigate what someone is doing, or how they are feeling)
So then Jenny replies, …and you’re checking up on me.
- Dan wanted to check up on Jenny to see how she is doing.
- The boss came into my office several times this morning. I think he is checking up on me.
- The kids are pretty quiet in their room. I’m going to check up on them.
Pretty much (that’s right)
Have a look at the next part of the dialog:
Dan: Because you trust people which is normally a good thing.
Jenny: Yeah, except when it involves Chuck.
Dan: Yeah, pretty much.
We use pretty much in a conversation to mean, that’s right or yes, exactly or you’re right when we agree with someone or to show them we think what they said is correct.
- Jack: I think I made a mistake not giving Sarah a good night kiss after our date last night.
- Joe: Yeah, pretty much.
- Tom: The boss was angry with our team for not finishing the report on time.
- Brad: Pretty much. So what are we going to do?
- Michael: Well, I think this is the end of this English lesson.
- Naomi: Yeah, pretty much. See you tomorrow!
Want to learn 225 verb and preposition combinations? Check out my new book:[product id=”6896″]
If you know anyone who has trouble with this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!