Macy’s was having a sale last weekend, so I went there to check it out. Almost everything was on sale. I found a nice jacket that I liked and it was on sale too. It is usually $115, but it was 50% off! I’m so lucky! When I went to pay, the clerk said that the jacket was final sale, so I cannot return it. Final sale means the store won’t give refunds, and you can’t exchange or return what you buy, so you need to be careful!
- Stores have a sale. The structure is [store] has a sale (or) there is a sale at [store] A sale is a special event where items in the store have a cheaper price than usual.
- Macy’s is having a sale today.
- Anthropology had a sale last week.
- There is a sale at the Gap today.
- Items are on sale. The structure is [item] is on sale (or) buy [item] on sale This means the item has a cheaper price than usual.
- All sweaters are on sale today.
- I bought this dress on sale.
- Everything is on sale on Black Friday.
- To talk about a discounted price, we often use a percentage off, like 50% off. The structure is [item] is 00% off
- This sweater was 50% off today.
- I bought these shoes for 30% off!
- The person who works in a department store or clothing store is a sales clerk, or clerk. A clerk can help you shop and also works at the register. Other stores, like supermarkets, grocery stores, etc. have cashiers. A cashier works at the register only, and doesn’t help you shop.
- The clerk in Macy’s was very helpful.
- The cashiers in the drug store are not so nice.
- When you are not happy with what you bought you may want to return it. Return means bring back to the store.
- I want to return this sweater. It is too big.
- Can I return this if my husband doesn’t like it?
- When you buy something, and realize it is the wrong color or size, you may want to exchange it. Exchange means change something for something else. The structure is exchange [A] for [B].
- I exchanged my sweater for a larger size.
- Can I exchange this for a blue one?
- When you return something, the store will refund your money. We can use refund as a verb and a noun.
- I would like to return this sweater. Is it possible to get a refund?
- This is a final sale, so we cannot refund your money.
If you know anyone who has trouble with this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them.
Thanks for studying today!