Listen to the Audio as you read the lesson:
[powerpress url=”http://blog.myhappyenglish.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/English-Lesson-advise-recommend-suggest1.mp3″ ] Download the audio | Download the pdf
Advise, recommend, and suggest are similar verbs and can be confusing. Let’s have a look at how these verbs are used.
Introduction: Language in Context
I was looking for a new camera. A friend of mine recommended I shop at B&H Camera Shop in NYC. I went there yesterday. The salesman was very knowledgeable and he suggested a Sony camera. It seemed like a good one, but I didn’t buy it right away. I remembered my father once advised me to take my time buying something so expensive. He always advised checking several models and stores before buying.
- Jen: I would really like to buy a bike for riding in Central Park on the weekends.
- Jack: Good idea. I suggest that you try my friend’s bike shop downtown.
- Jen: Will he give me good advice?
- Jack: Definitely. He’ll probably advise you to try a few different bikes before you choose one. If you tell him I sent you, I think he’ll give you a discount.
- Jen: Great! Thanks for recommending him to me.
Advise has two possible structures: (*remember: advise is the verb form, and advice is the noun! These two words are pronounced differently.)
1. advise + [someone] + [to do something]
- My father advised me to take my time.
- I advised Kim to take the TOEFL exam.
2. advise + [doing something]
- He advised checking several models and stores before buying.
- Mom always advised washing your hands before eating.
Recommend and suggest have three possible structures:
1. recommend / suggest (that) + [someone] + [do something]
- A friend of mine recommended (that) I shop at B&H Camera in NYC.
- I suggested (that) Brad and Angie go to Hawaii for vacation.
2. recommend / suggest + [-ing word]
- He suggested checking several models and stores before buying.
- Mom always recommended washing your hands before eating.
3. recommend / suggest + [something] + [to someone]
- He suggested B&H Camera to me.
- I recommend this website to all of my students
If someone was going to visit your country, what would you suggest they do and see? Leave a comment here and let me know:
If you know anyone who has trouble with this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them.
Thanks for studying today!