Memory, memorize, & remember are similar words that are often confused. Let’s have a look at these today.
Memory is a noun and it means the place in your mind where you keep information.
- My memory is full of ideas for English lessons.
- Do you have a good memory?
Memory also means something remembered from the past.
- I have nice memories of living in Japan.
- Seeing my high school friends brought back memories of my younger days.
Of course, memory is also an electronic component in a computer
- My first computer had just 1MB of memory
Memorize is also a verb and it means to put something into your mind permanently.
- It is easy to memorize the subway lines because they are color-coded.
- How many vocabulary words can you memorize in one day?
Remember is a verb and means to think about something already in your mind. You remember things you have seen, done, or learned.
- I remember my first-grade teacher, Ms. Johnson. She was so nice.
- It’s hard for students of Japanese & Chinese to remember all of the characters.
Do you have a good memory? What was the most recent vocabulary word you memorized? Leave a comment here and let me know.
If you know anyone who has trouble with this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them.
Thanks for studying today!