You can use must to make a logical guess about a present situation. The structure is must + base verb:
- Joe is late for work. He must be stuck in traffic.
- Jane has been sneezing all morning. She must have a cold.
- The expiration date on this cheese is November 30th. It must be ok to eat.
- Jack must like pizza. He eats it every day for lunch.
You can also use must to make a logical guess about a past situation. The structure is must + have + pp verb:
- Joe was late for work. He must have been stuck in traffic.
- They had no power after the storm. It must have been a difficult time.
- Jack must have worked late last night. He’s still sleeping.
- You went on a cruise? You must have had a great time.
Is today your first time to study at Happy English? Leave a comment here and let me know.
If you know anyone who has trouble with this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them.
Thanks for studying today!