When you want to talk about your first experience to do something, there are a few ways in English you can do that. The easiest and clearest way is to use “for the first time” at the end of your sentence. This pattern works for the present, past, and future, and you don’t need to change the pattern when the tense changes:
- Present tense: Jack is working here in the USA for the first time.
- Past tense: I ate pizza in New York today for the first time.
- Future tense: I am going to Peru next month for the first time.
You can also use the following pattern: [subject] + be + the first time + sentence. Usually the [subject] is a time word, like today or now, or a pronoun like this or that. This pattern also works for the present, past, and future, but you do need to change the pattern when the tense changes, so be careful!:
- Present tense: This is the first time Jack is working here in the USA.
- Past tense: Today was the first time I ate pizza in New York
- Future tense: Next month is going to be the first time I am going to Peru.
When was the first time you found Happy English? Feel free to leave a comment below!
How about studying English with Michael or Jackie? We are available for private English lessons in New York, and online via Skype. Also, check out Michael’s newest book & audio podcasts, 109 Phrasal Verbs