Are you sleepy? Do you like sleeping? Here is how we talk about sleeping in American English.
- go to bed means to enter the bed. I went to bed and read my book for a little while.
- go to sleep (or) fall asleep means the process of closing your eyes and going from “awake” to “asleep” I went to sleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.
- sleep means the action of being asleep. I usually sleep for just 6 hours per night.
- wake up means the process of opening your eyes and going from “asleep” to “awake.” I usually wake up at 6:15am
- get up means to leave the bed. I woke up at 6:15, but I didn’t get up until 7!
- stay up means to keep awake for a late time. I stayed up until 1:00am to watch the Olympics.
What time do you usually wake up? What time to you go to bed? Do you like to sleep late?