I went to the library after work today. The NY Public library on 42nd Street is so amazing. I have gone shopping in that neighborhood many times, but I haven’t gone to the library in such a long time. After studying there for a while I went home. A few minutes after I came home, friend Paul came to my house. He said he was planning on going skiing this weekend and asked me if I wanted to join him. Since I have to go to work, I had to decline.
Sometimes go is followed by to and sometimes it is not. Do you know the rules? Have a look at the paragraph above and then check today’s lesson.
With certain verbs of motion, like go, come, walk, drive, etc. there are times when we need to use to after the verb and other times when we do not. Here are the three rules:
Rule #1 – Specific, Physical Places
When we talk about a specific, physical place we need to use to after these verbs of motion. The structure is [go, come, walk, drive, etc.] + to + specific physical place
- I went to the grocery store.
- She came to school late today.
- I usually walk to the park.
Rule #2 – Non-Physical Places
Next, when we talk about a non-physical place we do not use to after these verbs of motion. Some examples of non-physical places are: home, there, here, somewhere, anywhere, over there, upstairs, downstairs, uptown, and downtown. The structure is [go, come, walk, drive, etc.] + specific physical place
- I came home after class. Not, I came to home after class.
- I want to go somewhere fun this weekend
- I walked downstairs when I heard the doorbell
Rule #3 – Ing-word Activities
Finally, when we use an ing-word activity we do not use to after these verbs of motion. Some examples ofing-word activities are: shopping, drinking, and sports that have an ing in their name. The structure is [go, come, walk, drive, etc.] + ing-word activity
- Let’s go skiing this weekend.
- Can you come sailing with me this summer?
- When are we going shopping?
Check out my book:
NEW for 2012! 109 Phrasal Verbs – 116-page eBook
- The DEFINITION of each phrasal verb.
- How to USE the phrasal verb.
- The STRUCTURE showing the grammar pattern of the phrasal verb.
- EXAMPLE sentences to see how the phrasal verb is used in context.
- A PRACTICE question to give you the chance to use the phrasal verb.