Join the club!
I’m sure that you have learned that in everyday casual English we pronounce going to as gonna. What you might not know is that there are times when we can and cannot use such pronunciation. Today I want to talk about this with you.
Be going to is used in a few different ways in English. First, we can use be going to + verb to talk about definite future plans. We can use the pronunciation gonna here:
- I am going to go to Boston next week – OR – I am gonna go to Boston next week
- Jack said he is going to get a dog – OR – Jack said he is gonna get a dog.
Be going to is also used when we talk about our present action or future plan. We use be going to + place. In this case, we cannot say gonna
- I’m going to Boston next week – NOT – I’m gonna Boston next week
- Jack said he’s going to the pest store – NOT – Jack said he’s gonna the pet store
Be going is also used when we talk about our present action or future plan. We use be going + Verb-ing. In this case as well, we cannot say gonna
- I’m going shopping now – NOT – I’m gonna shopping now
- Jack said he’s going skiing this weekend – NOT – Jack said he’s gonna skiing this weekend.
Keep in mind too that gonna is conversation English, and it should not be used in written English.
Thanks for studying today. What are you going to do this week?
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
Show your support →
CHECK OUT MY BOOKS
Everything Your GRAMMAR BOOK Didn’t Teach You
Yes, your grammar book probably taught you the difference between during and while, but it probably didn’t teach you how we actually use those words in everyday English. This book does!
You’ll also learn how to really use phrases such as:
- By Friday and Until Friday
- In the end and At the end
- I’m bored and I’m boring
- Even if and Even though…and so much more!
You’ll also learn how to use causatives, conditionals, frequency adverbs, modal verbs, articles, and prepositions.GET IT ON AMAZON
The English Grammar Workbook For Adults
The English Grammar Workbook for Adults is here to help improve your writing fluency so you can gain confidence while crafting emails, cover letters, conducting daily business, and personal correspondence.
No matter your current skill level, this English grammar workbook has everything you need to learn essential elements, including nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, tenses, and beyond. Then, you’ll apply what you’ve learned to everyday situations you could encounter at school, at work, social situations, creative writing, online, and more.