I like to listen to a lot of different kinds of music. Recently, I have been getting into some jazz from the 1950’s and 1960’s. I know there are other kinds of jazz, but I really like musicians like Parker and Getz. Stan Getz plays bop, but in the 60’s he got interested in another kind of jazz; the bossa nova. This was a very interesting and new sound, different from other kinds of popular music in the 60’s. Even if you like other kinds of music, you will probably enjoy that sound.
Other and another can be a little confusing, so I thought I would go over these words today. Do you know how to use these words? Have a look at the paragraph above once more, and then check today’s lesson.
The rules are simple. We use another followed but a singular, countable noun. Another has the meaning of one more ~ or not this one but that one:
- He got interested in another kind of jazz
- Would you like another drink?
- I have this computer, and I have another computer in my office.
Other can be used with singular or plural nouns. Other has the meaning of something different from what was just mentioned.
- I like bebop, but I know there are other kinds of jazz.
- There are other things to drink besides coffee.
- I have two computers. This one is faster than the other one.
Here are some other uses of other:
- We are at the ice cream shop, but the pizza shop is on the other side of the street.
- The class is small today. Where are the other students?
I hope you find this lesson more interesting that the other ones. I will have another lesson here soon! Thanks for studying (^^)