Wish and hope have similar meanings. Today we will look at the differences.
Wish is most commonly used in imaginary situations:
- I wish I had a cat ← I don’t have a cat, but I want one.
- I wish Jane was here ← Jane is not here, but I would like it if she was here.
- I wish I were a millionaire ← I’m not, but I would like to be one.
Hope is used to indicate a desired outcome for real situations
- I hope it doesn’t rain today← The forecast says rain, but I would be happier if it did not rain.
- I hope the train comes on time. ← The train is often late, but I would be happier if it did not come late today.
- I hope the exam is cancelled. ← There is a possibility that the teacher will cancel the exam, and I would be happy if he did so.
I hope this is helpful. So..do you wish for a pet? or fame? or….? What do you wish for?