Learning slang and idioms can make your English sound more natural. For today’s English lesson, I’m going to show you some slang and idioms related to drinking alcohol. I hope you enjoy it!
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or the check the transcript for the details:
Basic Drinking Vocabulary
- I’ll be serving liquor at my barbecue on Sunday.
- Jane drinks beer and wine, but not hard liquor.
Slang words for beer and liquor:
- Would you like a brew?
- Jane, can you get me a cold one from the fridge?
- There is a lot of booze at the party tonight.
- I don’t like any of the hard stuff, but I do like wine.
How to describe people who drink.
- He is a heavy drinker. He drinks a lot of liquor.
- He’s a big drinker. I like drinking.
- I’m not such a big drinker.
- I’m a lightweight.
- I don’t drink so much.
- I’m not a whisky drinker. I’m not a beer drinker.
- I bet I can drink you under the table.
- I drank down two shots of tequila.
- I hear his mom drinks like a fish.
- Jim can drink anyone we know under the table.
Slang expressions and idioms to describe someone who is drunk:
- He’s bombed.
- He’s three sheets to the wind.
- He’s plastered.
- He’s as drunk as a skunk.
- He’s well oiled.
- He’s wasted.
If you drink too much, you might feel sick the next day. We use have a hangover and be hung-over:
- I have a hangover.
- I am hung-over.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Phrasal Verb Workshop
Let’s Master Phrasal Verbs & Vocabulary
In this FREE phrasal verb and vocabulary workshop I’ll teach you
- What phrasal verbs are and how we use them
- Why it is important for you to study phrasal verbs
- How to learn and actually remember this vocabulary using my proven 3 Easy Step Method.
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn phrasal verbs but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! And get my FREE pdf: 50 Phrasal Verbs
CHECK OUT MY TRANSCRIPTS & BOOKS
570+ English Lessons
This is the ultimate package for podcast English fans!
This package includes 550 English lessons. You get:
- 1000+ Pages PDF Files
- All of the Mp3 Audio Files
- Access to Michael’s English Learner’s Community Chat Room
FREE Updates Every New Podcast
Whenever there is new podcast, including this one, I will update this file and you can get a free updates – Buy once, enjoy forever!
Learn Grammar, Americans Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, Vocabulary and more!