Should and had better are two modal verbs in English that many learners are stuck on the meaning of. Today’s English lesson podcast shows you the difference between these two.
Here are the example sentences
- For awesome shopping, you should check out SOHO. I think shopping in SOHO is a good idea.
- When you come to NYC, you should go to Central Park.
- You should go to Lombardi’s if you want to eat amazing pizza.
With had better:
- You had better not smoke there, because smoking is illegal in NYC parks. If you smoke, the police will give you a ticket.
- It’s a cold day, so you had better dry your hair before going outside. If you don’t, you’ll catch a cold.
- Bob’s doctor told him that he had better stop smoking.
If you know anyone who has trouble with this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!