Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
The phrasal verb turn up has a few different meanings and uses. Let’s learn this useful English vocabulary in today’s lesson.
Here are the example sentences
We use turn up to mean increase the volume or level. The opposite of turn up is turn down. Anything that has an up/down adjustment can be turned up or turned down.
- Turn up the radio. I love this song.
- Can you turn up the heat? It’s a little cold in here
- If you turn up the gas on the stove, the water will boil faster.
- I asked him twice to turn down the air conditioner, but it’s still cold in this room.
Turn up is also used to mean to arrive.
- Brad turned up late for work and the boss was really angry.
- I hope Jenny will come to the party. Everyone will be happy if she turns up.
- I waited for Jack for over an hour, but he never turned up. I wonder what happened.
Lastly, turn upcan be used to mean “discover” or “result in” or “is found”
- The police investigation turned up new clues about the murder.
- I hope my lost wallet turns up at the reception desk.
- Don’t worry about your cat. I am sure she will turn up soon.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Phrasal Verb Workshop
Let’s Master Phrasal Verbs & Vocabulary
In this FREE phrasal verb and vocabulary workshop I’ll teach you
- What phrasal verbs are and how we use them
- Why it is important for you to study phrasal verbs
- How to learn and actually remember this vocabulary using my proven 3 Easy Step Method.
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn phrasal verbs but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! And get my FREE pdf: 50 Phrasal Verbs
CHECK OUT MY TRANSCRIPTS & BOOKS
Just $27 per month
Free Sample HERE
This is the ultimate package for podcast English fans!
This package includes all of the podcast English lessons, including this episode!. You get:
- Get every podcast PDF and mP3 for past and future episodes
- Over 600 English Lessons
- Weekly LIVE Group Coaching with Michael
- Access to Michael’s private Telegram group
FREE Updates Every New Podcast
Whenever there is new podcast, including this one, I will update this file and you can get a free updates.
Learn Grammar, Americans Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, Vocabulary and more!
The sound of the subway is so noisy so the people turn up the volume of their Mp3 devices really loud.
Thanks Nasrin 🙂
Here is my answer.
– Because the sound of the subway is so noisy.
While driving a car, I turn up the music when my favorite song comes on!
Thanks Ryo. I always turn up the music in the car too!
Same thing here in Cairo. I hate it when the AC is turned up all the way on the subway.
It’s strange how they waste energy like that…
i realy want to join this school
Thanks Tony. I do teach private English lessons here in NYC and online 🙂