Photo credit QCTimes
The phrase gimme a break is used in a few different ways in English. For today’s English lesson, I’m going to show you how to use gimme a break in your everyday English conversations.
Here are the example sentences:
Gimme a break (1)
- Bob: I heard that someone jumped off the Empire State Building with a parachute.
- Joe: Give me a break! The security in that building is too tight for such a stunt.
- Ted: Joe said that he saw Johnny Depp at the diner on 6th Ave.
- Jen: Give me a break! I doubt any movie star would eat at that crappy diner.
Gimme a break (2)
- Jack: Are you finished yet? I want to watch TV?
- Jane: Jack! Give me a break! I told you I am studying for an important exam. Go watch TV at your friends house.
- Dan: Isn’t dinner ready yet? I’m so hungry!
- Serena: Oh, give me a break! It’s not easy to cook popovers.
Gimme a break (3)
- Boss: You know you’ve been late twice this week.
- Worker: Can you give me a break? My daughter caught the flu and I’ve needed more time to care for her in the morning.
- Policeman: Miss, you were driving too fast on that street.
- Danielle: I’m sorry officer. Please give me a break! I am going to a job interview and if I am late, I’ll never get the job.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Phrasal Verb Workshop
Let’s Master Phrasal Verbs & Vocabulary
In this FREE phrasal verb and vocabulary workshop I’ll teach you
- What phrasal verbs are and how we use them
- Why it is important for you to study phrasal verbs
- How to learn and actually remember this vocabulary using my proven 3 Easy Step Method.
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn phrasal verbs but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! And get my FREE pdf: 50 Phrasal Verbs
CHECK OUT MY TRANSCRIPTS & BOOKS
Just $27 per month
This is the ultimate package for podcast English fans!
This package includes all of the podcast English lessons, including this episode!. You get:
- Get every podcast PDF and mP3 for past and future episodes
- Over 600 English Lessons
- Weekly LIVE Group Coaching with Michael
- Access to Michael’s private Telegram group
FREE Updates Every New Podcast
Whenever there is new podcast, including this one, I will update this file and you can get a free updates.
Learn Grammar, Americans Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, Vocabulary and more!