Did you know that the budget could be in the red? Well don’t feel blue. If that happens, somebody may just give you the green light to go shopping. I often say that learning idioms makes your language sound more colorful. Well for today’s English lesson we’re going to look at seven different idioms that use colors. Let’s study together.
Here are the example sentences from this episode. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or join my Podcast Learner’s Group for the transcript, live group lessons, and more.
- Jack said that his budget is in the red. He probably uses too many credit cards!
- If the company stays in the red for too long it’s going to be bankrupt.
- It took a little time, but finally the company is in the black.
- I’m so excited because my boss gave me the green light to take Friday off.
- Kim gave her husband the green light to go to the bar with his friends on Saturday.
- When the little boy’s pet goldfish died, and he asked his mom what happened, she told him a white lie that the goldfish went back to swim in the ocean.
- When my brother cooked dinner for us for the first time, I told him a little white lie that it was very delicious.
- I got a text message today from one of my high school friends. That was totally out of the blue because I haven’t talked to him in years.
- Did you hear that Frank proposed to his girlfriend? That was really out of the blue! They just started dating six months ago.
- A lot of smokers try to buy cigarettes on the black market to avoid paying the sales taxes.
- During Prohibition in the 1920s, alcohol was commonly sold on the black market.
- Little Tommy was blue when he found out that his pet goldfish died.
- I’m feeling a little blue The boss told me that I have to work on Saturday morning.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
Join My Podcast Learner’s Group
This is the ultimate learning experience for my podcast English lesson fans!
This package includes all of the podcast English lessons, including this episode! You get:
- The word for word-for-word transcript pdf and Mp3 Audio of this and every podcast, even those coming up in the future.
- Live Group Coaching monthly with Michael and your fellow group members.
- Access to Michael’s private Facebook Group
FREE Updates Every New Podcast – Pay Once, Get Free Updates Every Time
Whenever there is new podcast, including this one, I will update this file and you can get a free updates – Buy once, enjoy forever!
Learn Grammar, Americans Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, Vocabulary and more!
All of this for just $47 (One-Time Payment)