For today’s English lesson, we’re going to talk about the word tough. Tough is an adjective that we can use to describe both people and things. Tough is an interesting word in English because it has a number of different meanings and uses. Tough can also have a positive nuance as well as a negative nuance. Ok, Let’s check it out.
Here are the example sentences from this episode. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or join my Podcast Learner’s Group for the transcript, live group lessons, and more.
- The TOEFL exam is tough. It’s one of the most difficult English exams out there.
- I’m really tired today because I was working on a number of tough projects at my office.
- I feel bad for Tony. He is having a tough time with his teenage boys.
- My boss is a tough man to work with. He is very demanding and not flexible at all.
- My parents were tough with my sister and I when we were growing up. I didn’t like it at the time, but looking back I’m glad that they were so tough.
- The police in that small town are very tough, so when you drive there, you need to make sure you drive carefully and stay within the speed limit.
- Howard grew up in a tough neighborhood. Even today, there are a lot of people there who sell drugs right in broad daylight.
- Tony’s son started hanging out with a group of tough guys in his school and now he’s often getting in trouble.
- The dashboard of my car is made of a very tough plastic.
- They use very tough material to make those backpacks, which is why they last quite a long time.
- Those peaches aren’t ripe yet. I tried one last night and it was very tough.
- I cooked steak yesterday. The flavor was okay but the meat itself was very tough.
- I like that steak house because they only use dry aged beef, which is always tender.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
Join My Podcast Learner’s Group
This is the ultimate learning experience for my podcast English lesson fans!
This package includes all of the podcast English lessons, including this episode! You get:
- Get every podcast PDF and mP3 for past and future episodes
- Over 600 English Lessons
- Downloadable PDF: The word-for-word transcripts for every podcast episode
- Downloadable Mp3: The audio files for every podcast episode
- Weekly LIVE Group Coaching with Michael
- Access to Michael’s private Telegram group
FREE Updates Every New Podcast
Whenever there is new podcast, including this one, I will update this file and you can get a free updates.
Learn Grammar, Americans Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, Vocabulary and more!