For today’s English lesson let’s take a look at some idioms that use the verb call. These are idioms that you can use in the workplace and in your personal conversations.
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or check the transcript for the details.
- Hey that’s strange. The boss has never called a meeting on a Friday afternoon. I wonder what happened.
- When the price of the stock dropped yesterday, the CEO called a meeting for all of the board members.
- Thank you everyone for coming today. Before we get started, I would like to call your attention to the no smoking signs posted around this room.
- Welcome aboard Flight 21 today. I would like to call your attention to the location of the emergency exits on this plane.
- Arguing with the boss? Oh, there’s no call for that.
- The kids broke the window with a baseball? That’s all? There was absolutely no call for getting the police to come here.
- The teacher called me on the carpet when I forgot to bring my homework.
- If you come to work late again tomorrow, the big boss is going to call you on the carpet.
- My car skidded on the ice and almost hit the car in front of me. That was really a close call.
- Tommy said he had a close call when he was skiing last weekend. He almost hit a tree!
- Bob was against wearing a mask but getting COVID was a big wake up call for him.
- When my doctor told me that my cholesterol level was dangerously high, it was a wake up call for me to stop eating fast food.
- Taking the train instead of a taxi was a good call. I just got a text message that there was a bad accident on the highway and there’s a lot of traffic on the road going to the airport.
- Hey good call suggesting this restaurant. That was an amazing meal!
- Quitting my job was a tough call but I’m really glad that I decided to start my own company.
- Jenny said that at the time, breaking up with her boyfriend was a tough call, but now she realizes that it was the best decision she’s ever made.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Phrasal Verb Workshop
Let’s Master Phrasal Verbs & Vocabulary
In this FREE phrasal verb and vocabulary workshop I’ll teach you
- What phrasal verbs are and how we use them
- Why it is important for you to study phrasal verbs
- How to learn and actually remember this vocabulary using my proven 3 Easy Step Method.
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn phrasal verbs but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! And get my FREE pdf: 50 Phrasal Verbs
CHECK OUT MY TRANSCRIPTS & BOOKS
All of my Podcast English Lessons
This is the ultimate package for podcast English fans!
This package includes all of the podcast English lessons, including this episode!. You get:
- 1000+ Pages PDF Files
- All of the Mp3 Audio Files
- Access to Michael’s English Learner’s Community Chat Room
FREE Updates Every New Podcast
Whenever there is new podcast, including this one, I will update this file and you can get a free updates – Buy once, enjoy forever!
Learn Grammar, Americans Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, Vocabulary and more!