Today we’re going to look at five phrases, like in a way and in the way. Using a or the in each phrase changes the meaning, so you’ll want t o be sure to chose the right word. Let’s get right into it.
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or check the transcript for the details.
- In a way, living in a city is better than living in the suburbs because everything you need is close by.
- Jack is a smart guy, but in a way, he’s annoying because sometimes he asks too many questions.
- I wasn’t able to drive down the street because a truck was in the way.
- It was difficult to see the stage because there was a tall guy si tting in front of me and he was in the way.
- Be careful of the boss today. Sales are down this month so he’s in a mood.
- Jane said her husband is in a mood because his favorite team lost the game.
- I’m in the mood to have pizza for lunch.
- Listening to classical music puts me in the mood to relax.
- All of the gates in that airport are in a loop.
- That train line is in a loop around the city.
- I don’t know about the company’s expansion plans because I’m not in the loop.
- If you hear anything about the boss giving everyone a raise please keep me in the loop.
- Jenny’s husband works in the kitchen in a hospital.
- You’re never allowed to smoke in a hospital.
- Kim was in the hospital for two days after she had the baby.
- I was surprised to hear that Tommy has never been in the hospital.
- For a moment I thought it was snowing, but it’s actually raining.
- John was just here for a moment to drop off a package.
- The doctors office said that for the moment they don’t have any open appointments.
- For the moment, I think it’s a good idea, but let’s see how it goes.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Phrasal Verb Workshop
Let’s Master Phrasal Verbs & Vocabulary
In this FREE phrasal verb and vocabulary workshop I’ll teach you
- What phrasal verbs are and how we use them
- Why it is important for you to study phrasal verbs
- How to learn and actually remember this vocabulary using my proven 3 Easy Step Method.
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn phrasal verbs but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! And get my FREE pdf: 50 Phrasal Verbs
CHECK OUT MY TRANSCRIPTS & BOOKS
570+ English Lessons
This is the ultimate package for podcast English fans!
This package includes 550 English lessons. You get:
- 1000+ Pages PDF Files
- All of the Mp3 Audio Files
- Access to Michael’s English Learner’s Community Chat Room
FREE Updates Every New Podcast
Whenever there is new podcast, including this one, I will update this file and you can get a free updates – Buy once, enjoy forever!
Learn Grammar, Americans Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, Vocabulary and more!