Hey guys it’s Michael here from Happy English and I help people speak English better.
Today, I want to talk about a grammar and vocabulary point that is a good example of just how weird English is. The verb AGREE is used with the prepositions with, to, and on and even without a preposition. But the meaning and usage is slightly different, depending on the preposition.
One key point that you need to keep in mind is the meaning and usage depends on what comes after the preposition. That could be a person, a thing, or a verb. Let me show you what I mean.
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or check the transcript for the details.
- I agree with Joe. We should offer that client a discount.
- We all agree with you. Let’s ask the boss for a day off on Friday!
- I agree with his decision.
- We agree with the terms of this contract.
- I agree to his decision.
- We agree to the terms of this contract.
- We agreed on the time of the meeting.
- Everyone agreed on the location for the new office.
- I agreed to go with him to the library.
- My sister agreed to cook lasagna for us next weekend.
- Everyone agreed.
- We agreed that the company should hire more people.
- In grammar: The subject and verb need to agree = the grammar is correct.
- (British usage?) Agree about – We agreed about the color; it was awful.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Phrasal Verb Workshop
Let’s Master Phrasal Verbs & Vocabulary
In this FREE phrasal verb and vocabulary workshop I’ll teach you
- What phrasal verbs are and how we use them
- Why it is important for you to study phrasal verbs
- How to learn and actually remember this vocabulary using my proven 3 Easy Step Method.
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn phrasal verbs but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! And get my FREE pdf: 50 Phrasal Verbs
CHECK OUT MY TRANSCRIPTS & BOOKS
550 English Lessons
This is the ultimate package for podcast English fans!
This package includes 550 English lessons. You get:
- One 1000 Page PDF
- 550 Mp3 Audio Files
- Weekly LIVE Group Coaching with Michael
- Access to Michael’s private Telegram group
FREE Updates Every 25 New Podcasts!
Whenever there are 25 new podcasts, I will update this file and you can get a free updates.
Learn Grammar, Americans Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, Vocabulary and more!