Today I’m going to show you 8 different slang words that you can use to say that a person is stupid. And let me say this very clearly. I’m not talking about people who have learning disabilities or anything like that. When I say stupid here I’m referring to people whose behavior is obviously foolish. And to me that signifies that the person is stupid.
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or check the transcript for the details.
- The first word is airhead. Air…head. You can imagine that this kind of person has only air in their head and no brains. He’s an airhead.
- Next is a birdbrain. Think about how small a bird’s brain is. A person who is a birdbrain has a very small brain. He’s a birdbrain.
- Next up is a bonehead. The bone in your head is called the skull. Well, if you only had bone in your head instead of a skull and a brain you would be a bonehead, and that would make you very stupid. He’s a bonehead.
- The next word is dimwit. Dim means not bright. For example, compared to the lights in an office or a school, a candle is dim. So dim means a low level of light. Well, wit means intelligence. If we put them together, dim means low level… wit means intelligence…so a dimwit is a person with a low level of intelligence. That guy is a dimwit.
- Next is knucklehead. Your knuckle is the place where your fingers meet the back of your hand and the bone is very close to the skin. But basically, in your knuckle it’s just skin and bone, so we use that image and we say that the person is a knucklehead. He’s a knucklehead.
- Next up is peabrain. A pea a very tiny, round, green vegetable, so we imagine that a person who is stupid must have a pea for a brain. That guy is a peabrain.
- The next word is pinhead. A pin is a very sharp, thin, tiny piece of metal. Very tiny. Like a very tiny brain. He’s a pinhead!
- The last one for today and one of my favorite expressions is dumb ass. Now I have to warn you, the word ass is a slang word which means the part of your body where you sit. But before ass picked up that meaning, ass meant donkey, and a donkey is not a very intelligent animal… or so they say. So a dumb ass is a not very intelligent animal that is not intelligent. He’s a dumb ass.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Phrasal Verb Workshop
Let’s Master Phrasal Verbs & Vocabulary
In this FREE phrasal verb and vocabulary workshop I’ll teach you
- What phrasal verbs are and how we use them
- Why it is important for you to study phrasal verbs
- How to learn and actually remember this vocabulary using my proven 3 Easy Step Method.
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn phrasal verbs but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! And get my FREE pdf: 50 Phrasal Verbs
CHECK OUT MY TRANSCRIPTS & BOOKS
Just $27 per month
This is the ultimate package for podcast English fans!
This package includes all of the podcast English lessons, including this episode!. You get:
- Get every podcast PDF and mP3 for past and future episodes
- Over 600 English Lessons
- Weekly LIVE Group Coaching with Michael
- Access to Michael’s private Telegram group
FREE Updates Every New Podcast
Whenever there is new podcast, including this one, I will update this file and you can get a free updates.
Learn Grammar, Americans Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, Vocabulary and more!