Speaking of steel, today I’d like to answer a question that one of the listeners sent to Happy English. Bianca asked me about the word screw, as in I got screwed. So, for today’s English lesson, let’s check it out. By the way if you have a request or suggestion for lesson, jump over to my happy English.com and send me a message.
Getting back to metal, a screw is a small thin piece of metal that is used to connect two pieces of wood. If your house is made of wood you’ve probably got some screws there. And we use the verb screw with the meaning of to turn that thing. Well, we have some slang expressions that use the word screw and that’s what we’re going to talk about today. Let’s check it out!
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or check the transcript for the details.
- I totally forgot that I have an exam tomorrow and I didn’t study. I think I’m screwed.
I think Jack is screwed. Not only did he come to the office late this morning, but one of his big customers complain to the boss about him. He’s screwed.
- Jack screwed himself by coming to work late too many times.
- I didn’t study for the exam tomorrow. I totally screwed myself.
- I got screwed when I bought a bottle of water at Yankee stadium. It cost $8.
- I bought a Louis Vuitton bag on the street from a street vendor for $25 but I got screwed because it’s fake.
- The auto mechanic screwed me out of $100. He did a terrible job of fixing my car.
- The cashier in that shop tried to screw me out of a dollar by giving me the wrong change.
- I was supposed to meet Tommy at 5 o’clock but I screwed up the time and got there at six. He was really angry.
- I have an important meeting with a customer tomorrow. I have to be very careful so that I don’t screw it up.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Phrasal Verb Workshop
Let’s Master Phrasal Verbs & Vocabulary
In this FREE phrasal verb and vocabulary workshop I’ll teach you
- What phrasal verbs are and how we use them
- Why it is important for you to study phrasal verbs
- How to learn and actually remember this vocabulary using my proven 3 Easy Step Method.
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn phrasal verbs but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! And get my FREE pdf: 50 Phrasal Verbs
CHECK OUT MY TRANSCRIPTS & BOOKS
Just $27 per month
This is the ultimate package for podcast English fans!
This package includes all of the podcast English lessons, including this episode! You get:
- Get every podcast PDF and mP3 for past and future episodes
- Over 600 English Lessons
- Weekly LIVE Group Coaching with Michael
- Access to Michael’s private Telegram group
FREE Updates Every New Podcast
Whenever there is new podcast, including this one, I will update this file and you can get a free updates.
Learn Grammar, Americans Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, Vocabulary and more!