Hey guys it’s Michael here from happy English I’ve got another podcast English lesson for you today. It’s October and this month is the ninth anniversary of happy English. Yeah! I started happy English nine years ago, just thinking that I was going to be a local English teacher here in New York. And yes, I’m still a local English teacher here working with students in my office and online. But beyond that happy English has grown to include this podcast, a couple of YouTube channels, and a pretty big social media network. And of course I have to say thanks to everyone for your support and for studying with me here.
Today we’re going to look at some common conversational phrases that use the question word why. Are you ready? Let’s check it out!
By the way, if you have a suggestion or a request for an English lesson, leave me a voicemail or send me a message at myhappyenglish.com. OK, let’s get the ball rolling!
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or check the transcript for the details.
- Why don’t I cook dinner tonight and you can relax.
- Why don’t I help you with that.
- Why don’t I lift the heavy bags and you take the small suitcase.
- It’s a nice day today. Why don’t we go to the park?
- Why don’t we go out for dinner? I don’t feel like cooking.
- We’ve been hiking for two hours. Why don’t we take a break for lunch?
- If you think you deserve a better grade, why don’t you talk to your teacher about it?
- You have been working really hard this week. Why don’t you take a day off tomorrow?
- Why don’t you let me drive for a while. You must be tired.
- Do you want to have pizza tonight? Sure why not?
- What do you want to do for dinner tonight. Why not go for pizza?
- Why should I ask the boss for a raise? He’s never going to give it to me.
- The exam is tomorrow and you just started studying? Why bother studying now?
- Why should I apologize? I didn’t do anything wrong.
- It’s 2 o’clock in the afternoon. Why on earth are you still wearing your pajamas?
- Why on earth did you quit your job? I thought you were making good money there.
- You ask her to marry you? You’ve only had a couple of dates with her. Why on earth would you do that?
- Why am I working so hard? Because I have a deadline and I need to finish my work. That’s why.
- Why are you so upset? Because someone crashed into my new car. That’s why.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!