Hey guys it’s Michael here from Happy English. It’s a rainy day in New York City and to be honest with you guys, the weather feels more like the middle of November than it does the middle of May. The temperature is just 8°C, and instead of this sweater, I should be wearing a polo shirt right about now. We are seriously experiencing some crazy weather.
For today’s English lesson, we’re going to take a look at nine idioms that start with the preposition by. I love teaching idioms because using these phrases Will make your English conversation sound more natural and more colorful. Plus these are common phrases so you’ll hear them all the time in movies, TV programs, and in your everyday conversations. Let’s check them out!
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or check the transcript for the details.
- Can I ask you a question? By all means.
- Jim has been working very hard this week. By all means, he should take a day off on Friday.
- I commute by train. It takes an hour, but by and large it’s better than driving to the office.
- By and large, cats and dogs are the most popular pets.
- I met my cousin at the shopping mall by chance.
- I saw that concert by chance. I was walking in the park and heard some music. I had no idea there was a free concert that day!
- By any chance do you know where the train station is?
- By any chance does the manager have any time in his schedule to have a meeting tomorrow?
- To me, landing on the moon in 1969 was by far one of the most significant events of the 20th Century.
- The current president is by far the most controversial we have had in a long time.
- An actor needs to learn their lines by heart in order to perform the character well.
- If you can learn these idioms by heart, you’ll be able to use them in a conversation.
- I fixed the problem with my computer by myself.
- I heard that Jimmy designed an iPhone app by himself. He’s so smart!
- Jim lives alone, and so he cooks alone and eats alone.
- Bob’s wife went to visit her mom, so he was alone all day yesterday.
- The manger does everything by the book, so the office runs smoothly.
- You need to play the game by the book, otherwise it will be too confusing.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!