Hey guys it’s Michael here from Happy English and welcome back to another English lesson podcast. When I looked at the calendar this morning I realized that this is the last week in November and, December is right around the corner. Wow! This year has really flown by. Do you guys have any plans for the holidays? Feel free to leave a comment or a voice message here.
Today I got a message on Instagram from Bita in Spain. She asked about the difference between especially and specially. I thought that’s a great question and that it would make a great topic for today’s podcast, so let’s check it out!
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or check the transcript for the details:
- I baked this cake especially for Jack (or) I baked this cake specially for Jack.
- Eddie wrote that song especially for his girlfriend (or) Eddie wrote that song specially for his girlfriend.
- The dessert at the restaurant wasn’t especially sweet (or) The dessert at the restaurant wasn’t specially sweet.
- Everyone in my office is good at computers, especially Jack.
- Fabrizio likes high performance sports cars, especially Lamborghinis.
- I enjoy listening to a lot of different kinds of music, especially jazz.
- I like living in New York, especially in summer. That’s because I can go to the beach.
- It’s really great walking around the city, especially at Christmas time because of the decorations.
- This city has a lot of high brand stores, especially on Fifth Avenue.
- Tonight’s dinner was specially prepared by a five-star chef.
- Those cookies are specially baked for the Christmas holidays.
- That statue was built specially to honor George Washington.
Show your support →
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
MY NEW BOOK FOR ESL TEACHERS
ESL Games for the Classroom:
101 Interactive Activities to Engage Your Students with Minimal Prep
Motivate your students to learn English with quick set-up, interactive activities from ESL Games for the Classroom. Every moment of class time counts. To fill class time productively, ESL Games for the Classroom offers effective ESL games that engage students with little or no prep work. Now On Sale!