I love teaching slang and idioms for a couple of reasons. First of all, you hear them all the time in movies, TV shows, and in everyday conversation. Secondly, using slang and idioms makes your English conversation sound more natural and less like a textbook. Today, we’re going to look at six phrases related to communication.
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or check the transcript for the details:
- I was out of the office on vacation, so I need someone to bring me up to speed.
- Hey Jim, can you bring me up to speed? I missed the last two classes.
- I was shooting the breeze with my sister.
- We were shooting the breeze about the circus.
- If you come 3 minutes late to work and the boss complains about it all day, we can say that the boss is making a big deal about you coming late.
- If you came late, would your boss or teacher make a big deal about it?
- If you are the boss, would you make a big deal about someone coming 3 minutes late?
- One of my neighbors got laid off, and two other neighbors were blabbing about it.
- My coworker blabs more than he works sometimes.
- I had to bite my tongue when the boss was yelling at me for coming late.
- I was so upset that she was yelling at me for no reason, but I just bit my tongue.
- My sister and her husband were having a very long conversation about the good and bad points of buying a car. They were talking up a storm!
- I finally got to hang out with my high school friends. We haven’t seen each other in over a year, so we were talking up a storm.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Phrasal Verb Workshop
Let’s Master Phrasal Verbs & Vocabulary
In this FREE phrasal verb and vocabulary workshop I’ll teach you
- What phrasal verbs are and how we use them
- Why it is important for you to study phrasal verbs
- How to learn and actually remember this vocabulary using my proven 3 Easy Step Method.
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn phrasal verbs but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! And get my FREE pdf: 50 Phrasal Verbs
CHECK OUT MY TRANSCRIPTS & BOOKS
Just $27 per month
This is the ultimate package for podcast English fans!
This package includes 550 English lessons. You get:
- Get every podcast PDF and mP3 for past and future episodes
- Over 600 English Lessons
- Weekly LIVE Group Coaching with Michael
- Access to Michael’s private Telegram group
FREE Updates Every New Podcast
Whenever there is new podcast, including this one, I will update this file and you can get a free updates.
Learn Grammar, Americans Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, Vocabulary and more!