The word that is an interesting word in English because it has a number of different uses. That can be a pronoun, as in that’s my mom; a determiner, as in that bag belongs to Jenny; an adverb, as in, I didn’t know it was that far; and a substitute for which and who, as in, the pen that you gave me is nice. So, for today’s English lesson, let’s look at 6 various ways of using that.
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or check the transcript for the details:
- This is my pen and that is your pen over there.
- That’s the Empire State Building.
- Do you see the woman in the blue dress? That’s Jack’s sister.
- Jack: Let’s go to the park. Tom: That’s a great idea, Jack.
- Jenny: I think this building was built in the 1920’s. Kim: That’s right, Jen. It was built in 1929.
- I went to Tiffany for the first time. I didn’t realize it was that expensive.
- I saw my favorite TV star in the airport. I never knew he was that short! He looks tall on TV.
- We decided to walk to the park because the trains weren’t running. I had no idea it was that far.
- I was surprised the first time I drove on the highway here. In my country, people don’t drive that quickly.
- I was so tired that I went to sleep as soon as I got home.
- The kids were so excited that they were going to go to Disney World.
- The boss was so happy that he gave us all a bonus.
- I know that you like pizza.
- She said that she was going to get a coffee.
- She didn’t realize that Jenny was the office manager.
- The pen that you gave me is so nice. (or) The pen which you gave me is so nice.
- I know a woman that has three cats. (or) I know a woman who has three cats.
- The guy that lives next door is a doctor. (or) The guy who lives next door is a doctor.
We saw a restaurant that serves deep fried butter. (or) We saw a restaurant which serves deep fried butter.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!