The word that is an interesting word in English because it has a number of different uses. That can be a pronoun, as in that’s my mom; a determiner, as in that bag belongs to Jenny; an adverb, as in, I didn’t know it was that far; and a substitute for which and who, as in, the pen that you gave me is nice. So, for today’s English lesson, let’s look at 6 various ways of using that.
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or check the transcript for the details:
- This is my pen and that is your pen over there.
- That’s the Empire State Building.
- Do you see the woman in the blue dress? That’s Jack’s sister.
- Jack: Let’s go to the park. Tom: That’s a great idea, Jack.
- Jenny: I think this building was built in the 1920’s. Kim: That’s right, Jen. It was built in 1929.
- I went to Tiffany for the first time. I didn’t realize it was that expensive.
- I saw my favorite TV star in the airport. I never knew he was that short! He looks tall on TV.
- We decided to walk to the park because the trains weren’t running. I had no idea it was that far.
- I was surprised the first time I drove on the highway here. In my country, people don’t drive that quickly.
- I was so tired that I went to sleep as soon as I got home.
- The kids were so excited that they were going to go to Disney World.
- The boss was so happy that he gave us all a bonus.
- I know that you like pizza.
- She said that she was going to get a coffee.
- She didn’t realize that Jenny was the office manager.
- The pen that you gave me is so nice. (or) The pen which you gave me is so nice.
- I know a woman that has three cats. (or) I know a woman who has three cats.
- The guy that lives next door is a doctor. (or) The guy who lives next door is a doctor.
We saw a restaurant that serves deep fried butter. (or) We saw a restaurant which serves deep fried butter.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Phrasal Verb Workshop
Let’s Master Phrasal Verbs & Vocabulary
In this FREE phrasal verb and vocabulary workshop I’ll teach you
- What phrasal verbs are and how we use them
- Why it is important for you to study phrasal verbs
- How to learn and actually remember this vocabulary using my proven 3 Easy Step Method.
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn phrasal verbs but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! And get my FREE pdf: 50 Phrasal Verbs
CHECK OUT MY TRANSCRIPTS & BOOKS
Just $27 per month
This is the ultimate package for podcast English fans!
This package includes all of the podcast English lessons, including this episode!. You get:
- Get every podcast PDF and mP3 for past and future episodes
- Over 600 English Lessons
- Weekly LIVE Group Coaching with Michael
- Access to Michael’s private Telegram group
FREE Updates Every New Podcast
Whenever there is new podcast, including this one, I will update this file and you can get a free updates.
Learn Grammar, Americans Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, Vocabulary and more!