Hit is an interesting word in English and as a verb, hit has a number of different meanings and uses. For today’s English lesson, let’s check out the various ways we can use hit in everyday English. We’ll also look at the idiom, to hit the books. Keep in mind that hit is an irregular verb, so the three parts are hit, hit, hit.
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or check the transcript for the details:
- Jack hit the ball with the bat.
- Why did you hit me with your bag?
- You should never hit a woman.
- I hit my knee on the edge of the table. It really hurts.
- The car hit the fence and destroyed it.
- Some scientists say that an asteroid hit the earth and that lead to the extinction of dinosaurs.
- The storm caused a tree to hit my car.
- Can you hit the lights? It’s getting dark in the room.
- As soon as I got home I hit the air conditioner.
- You need to hit both buttons to make hot water come out of the machine.
- I have to hit the bank after work.
- I’m kind of hungry. Let’s hit the diner and have lunch.
- It’s gonna be a nice weekend. Do you want to hit the beach?
- The temperature hit 40 degrees yesterday.
- Jack hit his sales target three months in a row.
- The price of that stock hit $500 this afternoon. All of the investors were happy.
- While I was driving to work this morning, it hit me that I left the windows open in my house. I hope it doesn’t rain.
- After months of trying to get a date with Kim, it finally hit Joe that she’s not interested in him.
- The idea to make this podcast hit me when I realized the various uses of hit!
- The final exam is next week. We’d better start hitting the books.
- If you don’t hit the books, you’re not going to pass the test.
- I missed a few days of school, so I really have to hit the books this weekend.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
Get quality language lessons from a our friends over at italki. You can connect with a teacher and get $10 in italki credits when you purchase your first course by clicking this link It’s the fastest way to become fluent.
GET MY ONLINE COURSES FOR 75% OFF
CHECK OUT MY TRANSCRIPTS
Look inside the book
Get yours now!