The other day, somebody asked me about the difference between using can and be able to talk about ability. That’s a really great question and I think more than just a basic English grammar question. So for today’s English lesson let’s look at how we use can, could, and be able to.
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or check the transcript for the details:
- I can play tennis.
- I’m not able to play tennis tomorrow because I have to work, but I am able to play tennis on Thursday.
- I can play the guitar.
- I am not able to play the guitar right now because I don’t have a guitar with me.
- Yesterday I was able to play the guitar because I was home and I have a guitar in my house.
- Yesterday I could play the guitar.
- I can play the guitar tomorrow because it’s my day off.
- I will be able to play the guitar tomorrow because it’s my day off.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
FREE Phrasal Verb Workshop
Let’s Master Phrasal Verbs & Vocabulary
In this FREE phrasal verb and vocabulary workshop I’ll teach you
- What phrasal verbs are and how we use them
- Why it is important for you to study phrasal verbs
- How to learn and actually remember this vocabulary using my proven 3 Easy Step Method.
My students tell me that it’s easy to learn phrasal verbs but really difficult to remember them when you need to use them. Now, I’ll show you how to do both!
Start really building your vocabulary today! And get my FREE pdf: 50 Phrasal Verbs
CHECK OUT MY TRANSCRIPTS & BOOKS
Just $27 per month
This is the ultimate package for podcast English fans!
This package includes 550 English lessons. You get:
- Get every podcast PDF and mP3 for past and future episodes
- Over 600 English Lessons
- Weekly LIVE Group Coaching with Michael
- Access to Michael’s private Telegram group
FREE Updates Every New Podcast
Whenever there is new podcast, including this one, I will update this file and you can get a free updates.
Learn Grammar, Americans Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, Vocabulary and more!