The preposition by has a number of different uses in English. I know that a lot of English learners have a trouble with prepositions. Like by, a lot of prepositions can be used in several different ways. So for today’s English lesson let’s focus on 6 different ways that we can use by.
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or check the transcript for the details:
- Luckily the damage by the earthquake was minimal.
- We need to have a decision by everyone in the office about the new casual Friday policy.
- Those apple pies were handmade by my aunt.
- It seems like the tree was damaged by the rainstorm.
- All of those songs were written by Paul McCartney.
- Tom Sawyer is one of the famous books by Mark Twain.
- Vincent got a CD of arias by Puccini.
- Please complete your essay by Friday.
- If we arrive at the station by 3pm we can catch the train.
- We have to start the meeting by 1pm if we want to finish at 5pm.
- The insurance premium is going to increase by more than 10%.
- I ran too slowly at that race. My timing was off by 15 minutes.
- Some professionals charge by the hour and others charge by the job.
- I always keep an extra umbrella by the door.
- The convenience store is by the station.
- I put the house plants by the window and they’re really growing well.
- It seems like the Jane got used to living by herself when she was in college.
- I cooked a dinner by myself for the first time in a long time.
- You can feel a good sense of pride when you do something by yourself.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!