I recently got an email from Tahani, who is a listener of the Happy English Podcast in Saudi Arabia. She asked me about prepositions, and specifically the preposition for. I know that prepositions are tricky for a lot of English learners and this is a great question. So for today’s English lesson let’s take a look get 10 different ways that we can use the preposition for.
By the way if you have a question about English justice send me a message through the website might happy English.com. Who knows? maybe your question will become a podcast here.
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or check the transcript for the details:
- Jack said he picked up some donuts for the meeting.
- We got new furniture for the office.
- I have a special pen for writing on the whiteboard.
- Tommy uses those glasses for driving.
- I baked a cake for Jenny. It’s her birthday.
- Jack works hard every day for his family.
- Hey don’t lift those heavy boxes. I can do that for you.
- That doctor does everything he can for his patients.
- I worked in that company for 17 years.
- I just booked a trip to Montréal. I have wanted to go there for a long time.
- I think I’m going to stay in this coffee shop for a little while and read my book.
- We waited for 45 minutes but the train never came.
- The meeting was scheduled for February 1 at 10 o’clock.
- I need a dentist appointment for Thursday.
- Jenny said that she rented a house on the beach for July.
- We drove for 200 km before finding a gas station.
- Nick said that he runs for 3 miles every morning.
- This river flows for a long way to the ocean.
- I always leave the house for work at 7 o’clock.
- The train for Boston is leaving on track 12.
- I’m heading for the shopping mall. Would you like to come with me?
- I can say I’m leaving for the mall or I’m going to the mall, but I can’t say I’m going for the mall.
- For more information about our company, please visit our website.
- I like play sports. For example baseball basketball and running.
- For the accounting department press one. For sales press two. For the operator press three.
- Jack started working for our company in 2012.
- That picture has played for several baseball teams in his career.
- Paul McCartney played bass and saying for the Beatles.
- He always has a cup of coffee and a donut for breakfast.
- The boss invited me for lunch today. I wonder what he wants to talk about.
- I ordered a steak for dinner. It was awesome.
- My love for you darling is very strong and deep. That kind of sounds like an old movie doesn’t it!
- It’s really easy to see Jack’s passion for his job.
- I have a lot of sympathy for Bill. He’s had a very hard life.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!