Tell is an interesting word in English because it has a number of different meanings and uses in everyday, daily English conversation. For today’s English lesson, let’s have a look at how we can use this versatile verb!
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or check the transcript for the details:
- Jack told me that he was going to Spain next week.
- Did you tell the boss about your meeting with the client?
- You’re going to South America? When you get back to New York I want you to tell me all about it!
- The boss rarely smiles, so you can’t tell if he is happy or angry.
- You can tell when a fish is fresh by checking its eyes.
- I’m baking bread for the first time, and I can’t tell if it’s ready or not.
- Excuse me, can you tell me the time?
- She’s only 4 years old, but she has already learned to tell the time.
- It’s not always easy to learn to tell time in another language.
- A: What do you want to do for dinner?
- B: I’ll tell you what. How about I cook dinner and you bring over a bottle of wine?
- A: I tell you what. If you cook dinner, I’ll bring a bottle of wine and dessert.
- C: What do you want to do tomorrow?
- D: I’ll tell you what. There’s a street festival in Little Italy. Why don’t we check it out?
- Well, looking at the menu and the happy faces of the customers here, as far as I can tell we’re going to have a good dinner at this restaurant.
- As far as I can tell, Jack is the best person to take over as manager.
- A: Which road do you think we should take?
- B: As far as I can tell, the road on the right side follows the sea, so maybe that’s the best one.
- A: The trains were late again this morning and I was late for work.
- B: Tell me about it. The trains in this city are so unreliable.
- C: It’s been raining for a week and it’s gonna rain this weekend too.
- D: Tell me about it. I haven’t been able to go to the beach at all.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!
GET MY ONLINE COURSES FOR 75% OFF
CHECK OUT MY TRANSCRIPTS
Look inside the book
Get yours now!