For today’s English lesson let’s have a look at five idioms that come from the sport of baseball.
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or the check the transcript for the details:
- We really scored big when we opened the new branch office in Paris.
- I heard that Rio scored big at the flea market. She was able to buy everything she was looking for, and at a great price!
- I liked Fay right off the bat. She’s friendly, intelligent, and a nice person.
- When the singers started singing out of tune, I knew right off the bat the concert would be terrible.
- The salesman struck out too many times so the boss had to fire him.
- Jack spoke with six different customers today but he struck out each time. He couldn’t make any sales.
- Another sale! Wow! We’re batting a thousand! That’s the tenth sale today!
- I needed to buy five different things from five different stores and I got everything done by noon. I’m batting at thousand.
- When I was up for a raise, my boss really went to bat for me by pressuring the HR department.
- I really appreciate Tommy’s help. He always goes to bat for me around the office. Hey what are friends for.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!