For today’s English lesson let’s have a look at three basic rules for using the definite article the. As you probably know, there are a lot of different rules and exceptions to those rule about how to use the, but for today, I hope these three ideas will put you on the right track to learning this little but important word in English
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or the check the transcript for the details:
- I ate a banana.
- I ate the banana I bought yesterday.
- We had a meeting this morning.
- We had the budget meeting this morning.
- Jenny gave me a nice pen.
- Thanks for the nice pen you gave me.
- I saw a man and a woman today. The man was very short, and the woman was
- I have a car. The car is a Jeep.
- I heard a noise last night. The noise came from the backyard.
- I don’t like to watch the news because it is generally bad anyway, so why bother.
- Someone took my bag! Call the police!
vJoe is sick. He went to the hospital last night.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!